Marble countertops are beautifully elegant and lend your home a feeling of incomparable opulence. One of the most popular choices for natural stone countertops in Columbia, South Carolina, marble, has much more to offer than just functionality and durability.
Exploring the Beauty of Marble Countertops
The ancient Greeks called marble, “marmaros.” Marmaros would have translated loosely to “shining stone.” The beautiful composition of marble, a metamorphic stone that’s high in calcite or dolomite, makes it easy to see why the ancient Greeks were so enamored of it. It was, and remains, an extremely sought-after material for countertops in Columbia, South Carolina for many purposes. Marble countertops, for example, can bring the gorgeous veining and luxurious colors of this stunning “shining stone” into your dream kitchen or bath.
Some of the most beautiful marble slabs in existence come from places like:
- Ireland, where Connemara marble carries an inimitable green hue.
- Georgia, in the southern US, which produces Etowah marble in a selection of pink, rose, and salmon colors; and Creole marble in black, white, and blue.
- Greece, the origin of Parian marble; fine-grained, purely white and semi-translucent, it was one of the most sought-after marbles for ancient Greek sculptors.
- Italy, with its Carrara marble that features fine blue-gray and white coloring.
The appearance of marble is determined by the site from which the stone comes, from fine-grained specimens with more uniform coloration to heavier grains with more variation, wider or narrower veining, and the number of veins; it depends almost entirely on the specific heat and pressures present when the marble was created.
Its exceptional beauty aside, there are a few things you should know about marble.
- Marble countertops can be polished to a very high gloss and can be etched easily by contact with liquids commonly found in the kitchen, like fruit juices, sodas, and coffee.
- It’s possible to scratch or burn your marble countertops, especially if they’re not properly sealed and maintained.
- The porous nature of marble can allow liquids to leach into the stone, leading to stains and unsightly marks.
Protecting your investment means ensuring they’re sealed properly. At Granite Depot, we highly recommend that your countertops be sealed with Stain-Proof Plus, an excellent sealer that makes it possible for us to offer a 25-year warranty.
Ready for the kitchen of your dreams?
Get Your Free Estimate Now
Follow Us Online
Choosing Marble for Your Countertops
Typically metamorphosing from dolostone or limestone, the specific impurities in the foundational stone give marble its distinctive appearance. There are a number of other advantages to consider when choosing which stone will be used in the creation of your dream kitchen or bath countertops in Columbia, SC, such as:
- Timeless beauty that’s simply not available with other types of countertops.
- A formation that is as unique as a fingerprint, never repeated in another slab.
- A complementary look for nearly any décor, from rustic and homey to sleekly modern.
- With the right care and proper sealing, they’re extremely durable and long-lasting.
- A variety of finishes to complete the look of your dream kitchen or bath countertops in Columbia, no matter your vision for the finished project.
- Resistance to damage from heat.
- Colors unmatched by other natural stone countertop options, along with an impressive array of veining.
- A pastry chef’s dream surface for rolling out dough, making pastries, and creating delectable pie crusts.
Marble is one of the most attractive and desired choices for natural stone even when factoring in the requisite maintenance. Marble countertops are not only functional; their rich glow imparts an aura of grandeur that just isn’t present with other types of countertops.
More Considerations for Marble Countertops
- Beautiful and uniquely classic, they’re a distinctive choice that bespeaks unmatched taste and style.
- Marble countertops are resistant to most typical sources of kitchen or bathroom heat.
- With proper sealing, they’re nearly impervious to staining and scratches.
The Amazing Variety of Colors
Regardless of your palette, there’s a marble slab that’s perfect for your countertops dream kitchen or bathroom remodeling project.
- Hues – From snowy white to raven black, the spectrum of colors is truly stunning. There are a staggering number of neutral marble colors in browns, tans, beiges, and more. For something more eye-catching, there’s even available in oranges, yellows, greens, pinks, and blues.
- Marble Patterns – Veins of creamy white, tawny brown, black, and more grace slabs in complementary or contrasting colors.
- Matched Marble – Colors change from one quarry to another, and even within the same quarry. Our slabs are always carefully handled to maintain matches from the same quarry site.
At Granite Depot, we’re proud to offer thousands of slabs to ensure you find exactly the right one.
Countertops for Your Dream Kitchen
Due to the somewhat difficult nature of countertop installation, it’s important that the installer you choose has a good amount of experience. Other tips to remember include:
- Honed marble countertops resist scratches better and have a velvety feel. Polished countertops are very glossy and better at resisting stains.
- You can avoid heat damage by always protecting them with a hot pad or trivet between countertops and hot items like pots and pans.
- The cool smoothness of polished marble is the perfect surface for kneading bread and making other types of dough.
Marble Vanity Tops for Your Dream Bathroom
Richly luxurious in both feel and appearance, marble vanity tops have long been a staple in the bathrooms of higher-end homes . Even with the advent of more options (such as engineered stone), the warmth and opulence of bathroom countertops ensure they still reign supreme.
Getting Your Countertops in Just Five Easy Steps
We know your time is important, so we’ve made the process for ordering is as quick and simple as possible. In just five steps, you can have the countertops of your dreams to complete the kitchen of your dreams.
- Fill out our easy estimate form. Our Design Specialists make it their mission to get in touch with you quickly (within 24 hours) to discuss the details of your project.
- Come into one of our stores. We’ll help you find the perfect slab among the thousands we have in stock, and the right edging for your countertops, too.
- We’ll create your template. Once we have measured your space and created the template, they’ll be installed in just five to seven business days, guaranteed.
- We’ll fabricate your countertops. We’ll make sure the template is correct, inspect your slab and cut it to the exact dimensions required for your project, and then add your chosen edging.
- Your marble countertops will be installed. Your countertop installation will be completed quickly and professionally so you can start enjoying your dream kitchen.
Our Design Specialists are ready to walk you through each step of this simple process. Just fill out our easy estimate form to get started on your new installation project.
Our Columbia Showroom Location
Mon-Fri: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
"To provide our customers with the highest quality of workmanship, craftsmanship and quality of stone, while keeping our products affordable."